Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
In addition to their harmonious, sweet, and fruity taste, raisins might have also made you wonder if you could share them with your pet because of their sweetness and fruity flavor.
In reality, you can’t give your dog any of them; unfortunately, he will not be able to consume them.
Now the question arises can dogs eat raisins? The answer to this question is no.
The majority of dogs are highly allergic to raisins. It has been proven that grapes and raisins can result in severe obstruction of the kidneys in dogs if consumed.
You can read on to discover more about the dangers of grapefruit and raisins to dogs. Furthermore, you should know what to do if your dog eats any of these raisins-made treats.
Taking a closer look at raisins
Many types of dried grapes are available in the market, such as raisins, sultanas, and currants.
You should be aware that all these naturally dried grapes, whether seeded or not, could be hazardous to your dog if ingested.
Although grape juice, grape jelly, and grape extract are not usually as harmful to them as grapes.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins? If so, how dangerous are they?
The fact that raisins are dehydrated grapes attracts dogs so much to them. However, these grapes have a very high level of toxicity for dogs.
There is a high likelihood that a dog will become ill if it consumes raisins or products that are derived from raisins. As a result, you must take every precaution to ensure that he doesn’t always have access to them.
Also, all family members and visitors should be aware of the danger and never provide their dog with raisins.
The toxicity of grapes and raisins in dogs can result in severe kidney damage, resulting in acute (sudden) kidney failure, which is fatal in many instances. But the same toxic substance in grapes or raisins is unknown.
However, it is believed that dogs cannot digest grapes’ flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides. This is why it can lead to severe health hazards in dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
Raisin toxicity in dogs: signs and symptoms
Use seedless grape pressings from wineries, grape juice, and foods containing grapes or raisins.
Similarly, bakery items such as baked goods, trail mix, and raisin wheat bread are all possible poisonous sources for dogs.
It has been observed that in most cases, symptoms of toxicity appear between 12 and 24 hours after the consumption of grapes or raisins.
As a result, when you see any of the following signs appearing on your pet, you should make sure that they are treated by a veterinarian as soon as possible:
- When eaten in excess, grapes and raisins cause digestive upsets, vomiting, and diarrhea within six to twelve hours after eating them.
- The kidneys will stop functioning within 24 to 72 hours after consumption due to the toxic substance. Urine output will significantly decrease within that period.
- A lack of appetite in your dog
- Feeling cold
- Weakness and lethargy
- Developing foul breath
- Inflammation in the abdomen
- Deficiency of water
How Do I Treat My Dog Who Ate Raisins?
If your dog eats raisins, you should immediately prevent him from consuming raisins.
The following instructions will help you quickly get your furry friend the loving care they require.
- Visiting your veterinarian is the first step.
It would help if you informed them about what breed and size your dog is, how many raisins or grapes he may have eaten, and how many of those he may have eaten.
Also, be sure to inform them if you are sure that raisins have been consumed. Or your pet shows any signs of grape toxicity.
- Follow your veterinarian’s instructions.
The veterinarian will diagnose the problem and suggest how to treat it.
In what way will my vet be able to help me?
As a first step, your veterinarian will perform a ‘decontamination’ treatment. It involves reducing the number of toxins that can be absorbed by your dog as quickly as possible.
Your veterinarian might be able to give your pup an injection that will cause them to vomit. This will help remove raisins from the stomach as possible.
The vet might also recommend giving your dog some activated charcoal, which can bind to the toxin and prevent it from being absorbed by your dog’s body.
The next step for hospitalization may not be needed if all raisins eaten have already been removed.
However, you might have to take your dog back to the vet for a blood test, depending on the dog’s condition and seriousness.
This will help monitor the kidney function for the next couple of days.
If the toxin is not eliminated and intravenous fluids are inadequate to support the kidneys, your dog may need hospitalization.
With the help of a blood sample taken daily and urine output, kidney function can be monitored.
Supportive medications can also help control symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, which your veterinarian can prescribe to relieve.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Can a dog die from eating a raisin?
Contact your veterinarian if your dog ingests raisin immediately.
Even though it is unlikely that one raisin will kill your dog, a small amount of raisin may seriously affect dogs.
Is overeating raisins harmful to dogs?
Dogs can be harmed by eating raisins in excess, but there is no specific formula for determining how much is bad for them.
In dogs, raisin poisoning can display variable and unpredictable symptoms, so a toxic dose has not been established.
This condition can be highly variable among dogs. Some appear more sensitive to raisin poisoning, and some seem less susceptible than others.
Big dogs can tolerate more significant amounts than smaller dogs, as with other toxic foods. However, the case is not the same for raisins, as even one raisin in the mouth of a big dog like an English Mastiff can cause severe damage.
This means that a vet will have to seriously consider raisins consumption by a dog, even if that dog had eaten them before and survived.
Is there any effect of raisins on dogs’ kidneys?
It is doubtful that your puppy will suffer a fatal kidney injury if it eats raisins and then is forced to vomit afterward due to that loss of appetite. However, your dog may be able to recover if you act quickly.
Raisins cooked can be eaten by dogs?
In some cases, baked raisins and baked goods can be equally harmful to dogs, just like raw grapes and raisins. You should follow the above steps in these situations to offer your dog the maximum chance of recovering.
Is it possible to avoid toxins?
The safest way to prevent your dog from eating raisins is to keep all raisins and raisins products in a safe place in your kitchen. Talk to friends and family (including your children) about the risks of accidentally exposing your pup to raisins to ensure that they do not eat them.
Consider putting your pets behind a fence at kids’ parties or picnics so that you can minimize the risk of them ingesting harmful toxins. Since dogs are not carefully supervised at such events, toxicity is more likely to occur.
Does raisin toxicity affect other species as well?
Regarding toxicity, cats are much less likely to consume raisins than other species. However, a few reported cases of raisins being toxic when ingested by cats.
Raisins are also non-toxic to birds so they can consume them without restriction.
Does my dog need to avoid any other toxins?
In the case of pet owners, you should be aware of several potential poisons, such as cocoa (incredibly dark chocolate or excessive amounts of white chocolate), the fruit avocado, alcohol, antifreeze, plant material, such as ferns, and blooms, such as tulips and daffodils, among others.
Can dogs eat raisins? The simple answer is no
Raisins are dried grapes. Our canine companions are prone to toxicity when they consume raisins in their original form.
So, it’s better to keep them away from raisins and grapes as they contain naturally occurring toxins that should be taken seriously.
As the dogs are unpredictable regarding their sensitivity to raisins, we must take extra precautions.
Veterinary assistance is most likely needed in this situation, so you should seek it immediately.