Can Dogs Eat Sashimi?
Sashimi on the dining table looks so delicious that even my dog looks like he ate it. But is raw sashimi safe for dogs to eat? As a result, sashimi is a delicate treat for dogs! Knowing the dangers and precautions before giving them is essential, so be sure to provide them safely.
Is it okay to give dogs sashimi?
I don’t think it’s a problem to give your dog sashimi. The delicious sashimi can be enjoyed with your dog.
However, it is safer not to give aged sashimi as it can cause food poisoning. If you give your dog this food, it must be “fresh.” Avoid adding soy sauce or wasabi, and remove any fish bones that may get stuck in the throat.
It is safer not to feed freshwater fish, even sashimi, with concerns about parasites. Also, if you give much sashimi, it may cause indigestion, so let’s keep it to the topping of rice.
Which types of sashimi are recommended for dogs?
Dogs are recommended to be fed the following sashimi, which can be purchased commercially as “sashimi” in supermarkets.
A list of dog-friendly sashimi types
- sea bream
- horse mackerel
Raw fish contains an excellent nutritional value. For blood to flow smoothly, essential fatty acids like DHA and EPA are necessary. They lower blood triglycerides and cholesterol, preventing cancer, heart disease, and cerebrovascular disorders. Furthermore, omega-3 fatty acids prevent blood clots, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
In addition to being high in animal protein, tuna sashimi contains many essential amino acids. Due to its iron content, low-calorie content, and high protein content, it is suitable for dieting.
Sashimi dangers and precautions for dogs
As previously mentioned, sashimi is a healthy food you should give to your dog since it is expected to have a variety of nutrition and effects.
Some precautions and dangers must be taken, however, when giving. It will be explained in detail below, so keep that in mind and hit it safely.
What dogs should be warned about when given sashimi
- histamine poisoning
- vitamin B1 deficiency
- parasites of Anisakis
- and offered in small amounts
Watch out for indigestion!
While it’s okay to feed dogs sashimi, they have trouble digesting seafood in the first place. Dogs lack digestive enzymes, especially shellfish, so too much can cause indigestion. It is important to note that eating large quantities of raw fish can result in diarrhea in some dogs.
Histamine food poisoning!
Raw fish or stale sashimi can cause histamine poisoning. In processed foods containing a large amount of histidine, such as redfish sashimi, histidine produces a large amount of histamine when left at room temperature.
Fish with red flesh, such as tuna, yellowtail, black marlin, mackerel, saury, and sardines, contain high levels of the amino acid “histidine,” which is commonly associated with histamine poisoning.
The face, mouth, and tongue become red and swollen after eating food poisoning caused by histamine, and hives appear. It is also common to experience diarrhea, dizziness, vomiting, and fever.
Heating does not eliminate histamine. Sashimi should be frozen immediately or stored in the refrigerator after it has been prepared. Do not thaw frozen sashimi at room temperature, as it takes a long time for the outside to reach room temperature, which is dangerous.
Vitamin B1 deficiency is dangerous!
Vitamin B1 deficiency (thiamine deficiency) can cause indigestion in dogs who eat much sashimi. Known as beriberi, it is a disease of the skin.
Dogs cannot produce vitamin B1 in their bodies. Raw fish contains a large amount of an enzyme called thiaminase. If a dog ingests a large amount of it, vitamin B1 in the body is destroyed by thiaminase, resulting in vitamin B1 deficiency.
Symptoms of vitamin B1 deficiency include neuropathy, malaise, loss of appetite, numbness and swelling in the hands and feet, and, in severe cases, heart failure.
Even though sashimi is highly nutritious, it is dangerous to keep giving it to your dog daily or feed it in large quantities. Let’s make it about the topping of the reward.
Parasites of Anisakis are dangerous!
Raw sashimi may contain anisakids, a parasite that causes food poisoning. Mainly parasitic on the internal organs of mackerel, horse mackerel, sardines, bonito, saury, squid, and cod. Also, be careful of salmon and rainbow trout.
Putting a hidden knife in the squid sashimi means carving and killing the Anisakis.
Anisakis parasitizes the internal organs of mackerel.
Anisakis parasites do not die from stomach acid but bite into the stomach and intestinal walls, causing intense abdominal pain, pain, and nausea.
Since no effective drug has yet been found, endoscopic surgery to remove the Anisakis larvae is a standard treatment.
Anisakis may migrate from the internal organs of fish to muscle parts, so removing the internal organs does not mean you are safe. Consuming undercooked fish carries the risk of infection. The larvae of Anisakis are large enough to be seen with the naked eye, so when giving your dog sashimi, check carefully to ensure it doesn’t stick to your body.
The danger of developing allergies!
Sashimi can cause allergies in dogs who have never eaten fish, puppies, and seniors with weak immunity for the first time. The most common symptoms are abdominal pain, diarrhea, and hives on the skin. Anaphylactic shock can occur in severe cases, resulting in difficulty breathing and a drop in blood pressure.
Ingredients in dead Anisakis parasite carcasses may also cause allergies.
Give in small amounts!
When giving sashimi to your dog, give small amounts of fresh sashimi due to the various dangers mentioned above. When eating sashimi for the first time, it is essential to provide the fish in an e smaller than a single piece and to keep an eye on it.
Can Dogs Eat Sashimi? The answer is yes.
It’s okay to give sashimi to your dog, but when giving it, be careful of indigestion, food poisoning, and allergies. And since dogs are smaller than humans, only small amounts should be given. Daily feeding is not recommended due to the risk of vitamin B1 deficiency.
Fish is very nutritious, so you want your dog to eat a lot for their health. However, considering various dangers, I think it’s safe to keep it to the extent of rice toppings.