Can Dogs Eat Snails?
During the rainy season, you can see snails on the roadside and the grass. On the one hand, I feel like it’s the rainy season, but on the other hand, when I see my dog staring at the snail, I get impatient.
I’ve heard stories that it can be deadly if a dog accidentally eats a snail. Have you ever heard of it?
Snails will be more visible as the rainy season approaches while you walk your dog. The theory that dogs die from snails has emerged. Precisely what is it?
Snails are dangerous creatures for dogs.
As a result, if your dog accidentally eats a snail, it can lead to death. There have also been reports of cases in which snails were put into the body through the mouth, causing encephalitis, resulting in severe illness and even death. Now the question arises can dogs eat snails?
Do snails have toxins that cause them to die?
The answer is no; snails are dangerous to eat because of the parasites they carry.
Snails: what you need to know
We have focused on snails this time, but snails are not the only creatures that dogs encounter while walking. Depending on the area, there may be rats running around and frogs and snakes living in some areas.
You also need to be careful with these “field mice,” “frogs,” and “snakes.” This is because there is a high possibility that different parasites also parasitize these, and if the parasites enter the body, there is a risk of death.
For example, field mice may carry a parasite called Echinococcus, while frogs and snakes may have a parasite called Taenia mansoni.
Some dogs show interest in these moving creatures, and some may try to smell them or even lick them. However, parasites will likely enter the body through the mouth and should be avoided at all costs.
Cantonese Sumihimo nematode parasitic on snails
Snails carry a parasite called Angiostrongylus Cantonese worm. Parasites hide in snails (as well as slugs) and snail secretions. As a result of ingesting the snail by mistake, the parasite will also enter the dog’s body.
The snail does not firmly attach to the body, but the parasitic Cantonese blood nematode enters the nerves and blood vessels and travels throughout the body. During that period, it can reach organs and cause inflammation.
Watch out for things other than snails! Dangerous creatures with a high encounter probability
Can dogs eat snails
While walking, be careful not to drink or eat by mistake
Dogs don’t realize that eating this can cause death. As a result, the only person who can protect your dog from parasites is the owner who walks him.
A dog owner must keep a close watch during walks to prevent parasites from entering the body and avoid accidental ingestion.
If you don’t bring it close to the target organism (or any artificial object such as a dangerous plant or tobacco), you won’t be infected with parasites or cause poisoning.
Snails transmit the disease Angiostrongylosis.
Angiostrongylus vasorum can adversely affect a dog’s health. Some of these issues include:
- Platelet count decreases
- The coagulopathy
- Blood clots
- A blockage of the pulmonary arteries
- Migration-related injuries
- Coughing persists
- Weight loss
- Respiratory insufficiency
- Exercise intolerance
- Neurological problems
Snails should be eradicated.
- Pests such as slugs and snails are exterminated because they eat vegetables.
- One way to get rid of them is to sprinkle them with salt.
- You have likely tried killing slugs with salt at least once.
- Slugs have a large amount of water in their bodies, and by sprinkling salt on them, the water escapes and shrinks, allowing them to be exterminated.
- Also, I wouldn’t say I like caffeine, so I can get rid of it by pouring a drink containing a lot of caffeine.
- However, if you want to get rid of it earnestly, you will use an exterminator.
- Pesticides can be easily purchased at home centers.
- If you have a home garden, everyone should be using it quite a bit.
Some snail and slug pesticides contain a substance called “metaldehyde.”
It is toxic to dogs if metaldehyde is ingested.
The main symptoms are:
・Whole body tremor
・Vomiting & Diarrhea
Dogs can die from metaldehyde ingestion if they ingest significantly, causing the above symptoms.
For this reason, care must be taken to prevent your dog from accidentally eating them.
If you have a pet dog, we recommend using a pesticide that is a naturally derived ingredient, so you don’t have to worry if your dog accidentally ingests it.
Also, read can dog eat an apple seed
What did you think? Snails are often seen during the rainy season. But those snails can harbor deadly parasites that can kill your dog. Always keep an eye on your dog’s movements to prevent accidental ingestion. If a dog eats a snail accidentally, you should always contact your veterinarian as soon as possible if you have any concerns about your dog’s health.